The College of Membership Professionals is a division of the Business Management Association: a recognised UK professional body originally formed in 1982. This rapidly growing organisation with members around the World is committed to providing training and qualifications in addition to improving standards in the field of business management generally together with all of its specialisms.
The Business Management Association is proud to create this new division reflecting the growing importance of membership organisations to the economy as a whole. We are happy to accept applications for membership for anyone working in the membership sector whether on a paid or voluntary basis.
Formed to meet a perceived gap/potential development area in service to membership professionals, the College of Membership Professionals exists to:
- Provide a wide range of relevant membership benefits
- Provide a forum for membership professionals around the World to share their problems, issues, concerns and solutions
- Provide training and continuing professional development programmes for people engaged in the membership sector at all levels
- Represent the interests of membership sector staff in the UK and worldwide
- Engage in dialogue with likeminded professional bodies, trade associations, educational and training establishments and other representative organisations both in the UK and Internationally
- To award the Master Membership Professional Programme MMP via an annual training programme
^ top of page
Membership of the College
The senior grade of membership. A minimum of fifteen years verifiable experience working in the membership sector.
A minimum of ten years verifiable experience working in the membership sector.
A minimum of five years verifiable experience working in the membership sector.
Less than five years experience working in the membership sector.
Any business that is interested in working with the sector and the people working in it
^ top of page
MASTER MEMBERSHIP PROFESSIONAL (MMP)
A NEW QUALIFICATION IN THE MEMBERSHIP SECTOR
Designed to reflect a solid background in running membership organisations. A blend of verifiable experience, course attendance, professional qualification and continuing professional education. Dual awarded qualification with the Business management Association.
Various routes to achieving qualification
- Existing recognized qualification - NVQ Level three or above (or alternative qualification deemed to be equivalent by the College Management Board plus minimum of five years verifiable senior membership sector experience plus minimum of 60 Continuing professional development points per annum
- Minimum of seven years verifiable senior membership experience plus minimum of 60 Continuing professional development points per annum
- Attendance at an annual College two day summer school event plus six years verifiable senior membership organisation experience plus minimum of 60 Continuing professional development points per annum
Members are required to abide by the College's Code of Conduct - downloadable via this link.
Continuing Professional Training Scheme : Annually self certified scheme with right for College to check returns of members on a random basis
Three points per hour - structured training - course/seminar attendance completion
Two points per hour - structured training - online course completion
One point per hour - unstructured training - reading trade press, writing articles etc
Full members of the Institute of Association Management will be automatically entitled to membership of the College at Member, or above grade depending upon their experience. Points gained through the Institute's CPD scheme will be automatically recognised by the College.
Fellows of the Institute of Association Management will be automatically entitled to Fellowship of the College.
The Association is negotiating reciprocal arrangements with other professional bodies operating within all relevant sectors.
The College retains the right to refuse an application for membership or awarding of the MMP award without the need to give further reasons for the refusal.
- Fellow: £50
- Member: £40
- Associate: £30
- Affiliate: £20 (free to all Memberwise/Memnet/Sue Froggatt alumni members)
- Corporate: £200
- MMP: £100 stand alone (30% discount on combined sub if also CMP member)
^ top of page
These are still being developed but currently include access to free and discounted resources. Members of the College will be entitled to hold dual membership with the Business Manangement Association at an equivalent grade paying only 50% of the normal BMA subscription.
We are planning to hold a two day Summer School event to support our aims and to help members develop their skills and share problems and issues. We intend that the first event will be held in Spring 2011.
^ top of page
How to join
Joining the College couldn't be easier. All you have to do is to email a copy of your current CV together with details of your line manager at your current organisation who, if required, can confirm your experience to us as part of your application, to firstname.lastname@example.org
We will acknowledge your application and assess the appropriate grade of membership as quickly as possible. Assuming that your application is accepted we will invoice you for your first year's subscription. No registration fees are payable. As soon as that invoice is paid we will send you your membership certificate.
Candidates qualifying/applying for free affiliate membership as outlined above will be emailed their membership certificate. A physical certificate can be sent for a one off fee of £5. Please note that no fees are charged for upgrading membership.
^ top of page
Post: The College of Membership Professionals, Admissions Office, Business Management Association, Coborn House, 3 Coborn Road, Docklands, London, E3 2DA UK
Tel: 01920 823261